Monday 13 May 2013

A Typically, Unusual, Success Story.



So what does it take to become truly successful?

I have just finished Malcolm Gladwell’s book ‘Outliers’ A fascinating book on how success isn’t black and white, it does not just come down to hard work and coming from the right background. These things are important but there are other factors that might not have been considered, like being in the right place at the right time, being born at a certain time or coming from a family with a strong historical working culture.

Gladwell explores the key reasons that lie behind successful people. Bill Gates, for example lived within a few miles of one of the very few super computers in the world. He managed to be born at the right time, where he was at the right age, to spend right time learning about computer programming. He also had the financial backing from a club that his mother belonged to and also managed to hack the system to spend more time on the computer without being shut off.
To top it all off by the time the personal computer become available Bill Gates had put in 10,000 hours of practice becoming an expert at his field of programming.

What if it takes more than hard work to become a success?
Does Alan Sugar, Richard Branson or Steve Jobs fit into this example? Would we find the answer, if we explored this question in greater detail? Probably.

What does this mean for the rest of us? What has happened during our time that we could turn our hand to?

I collected Pokémon cards; I had a pile so big that I needed a big elastic band to hold them together. I used to believe that I could tell if a pack had a ‘shiny’ in it before I opened it. One day I was walking around a wholesaler with my dad and come across a box of 90 packs of playing cards for £90. Wow. “When I get older I am going to by a box of them. It is what I dreamed about and if I could make a career out of it back then I probably would have.

Long story short my school banned them and I grew up.

A Tamagotchi was something I was great at, unfortunately the same story above applied, I grew up.

We have been there for the mobile phone generation. My first phone a Nokia 3310 was one of the first phones with a game on them – they had snake- and didn’t even think about colour or anything internet based. I was there for when the phones went micro to what they are now – a hand held computer.
We have been there when the internet has become what it is now, I remember when I first Googled.
But I am not that interested in phones or going on Google.

The thing is that all of the above things we have been there for, we have been using these things and probably have put in more than 10,000 hours on the mobiles or the computers. The answer is that yes, we probably could find anything we wanted to find on the internet without too much trouble or work out how to use a new phone in a heartbeat.
We aren’t there for anything new, yet!

Yet, is a big yet. Because the point of what we can learn by the giants of innovation and business is that you have to find the time, with a bit of luck, to discover something revolutionary.

What could we be working on today that could turn out to be great, how are we changing the world, what is becoming important that isn’t quite yet. How can we change the world?

Find something you love to do, there is no way that you will be able to put in 10,000 hours of practice into something that is just going to change the world but you don’t care about it. So find your interest, make it an art.

Business is changing all the time. The way that people are reacting to Business, ideas and principles change all the time, every day in fact there could be one statement that contradicts the other, and we are making sense of it. People are spending the time to make sense of it.

I can’t make a go of Pokémon cards anymore or Tamagotchis, I couldn’t make a business out of texting or the internet, I might do these things but they aren’t my passion.

What is your passion?

This is the real answer and the truth of it all; you can be in the right place at the right time in hindsight. What’s to say you aren’t in the right place or the right time now?  


Do what you love, work hard, become an expert, work hard on becoming an expert. Enjoy the experience, if you don’t end up changing the world, worst case scenario you might just enjoy your life.


 
 
 Follow me on...


Twitter: @coachingsucces1




No comments:

Post a Comment